Singh is Finalist for Mayor’s Arts Awards
Daniel Phoenix Singh is a Finalist in the Innovation in the Arts category
Daniel is a Finalist in the Innovation in the Arts Category for DC’s 25th Annual Mayor’s Arts Awards. As you may know Dakshina means “offering” in Sanskrit and in keeping with this spirit, Dakshina offers artists and communities the unique opportunity to experience dance as a movement that links the arts, cultures, and social causes. Finalists were chosen by the Mayor’s Arts Awards Advisory Jury comprised of prominent members of the District’s arts community with expertise in dance, music, theater, literary arts, visual arts and arts education.
The Mayor’s Arts Awards is the highest honor conferred by the District of Columbia in recognition of artistic excellence and service among artists, arts organizations, and arts patrons in the city. The 33 finalists for the 25th Annual Mayor’s Arts Awards demonstrate the wide range of talent the arts community offers in the District of Columbia.
Washington’s arts community is integral to the world-class city we call home. This year the panel received a record 102 nominations, reinforcing the fact that the Mayor’s Arts Awards represents its appreciation of the contributions made to the rich cultural vitality of Washington DC.
See the full list of Finalists here.
Here are some highlights of our awards in recent years
- Dakshina’s May 2010 Dance Place Show was selected as the critic’s pick by the Washington Post chief critic Sarah Kaufman. One of two local companies to make this distinguished roster. January 2010
- Dakshina’s May Dance Place Show was chosen as the Number One pick of five events by Arion Berger in the Express Daily. 2009
- Emerging Group, for Bell Song, Singh’s fusion work incorporating Bharata Natyam and Modern Dance. Dance Metro DC. 2008
- Excellence in Costume Design (shared with Roxann Morgan) for Bell Song, Singh’s fusion work incorporating Bharata Natyam and Modern Dance., Dance Metro DC. 2008
- Dakshina’s May Dance Place Show was chosen as the Best Pick by Nick Green in the Washington City Paper. 2008.
- Founder’s Award for Innovation in Dance, Dance Metro DC. 2007
- Singh was selected for the Asia-21 Young Leaders Forum. 2007
- Finalist, Emerging Artist–Mayor’s Arts Awards. 2007 and 2006
- Dakshina’s National Geographic Show was chosen as the Best Pick by the Express daily paper. 2005
- Finalist, Set Design for Songs of My Life, Dance Metro DC. 2005
- Songs of My Life selected as Best Pick by Sarah Godfrey in the Washington City Paper. 2004
- Singh became the first Alumnus to be invited to present a program at the Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center at the University of Maryland. 2004