Dakshina provides arts education projects for D.C. Public Schools (DCPS) in the form of after school dance classes. We are currently working with Ross Elementary, and hope to expand this program. The intern will assist in gathering information about each school’s overall plan, make recommendations on Dakshina resources to support the plan, participate in meetings, site visits, and training on-site and in the schools, and collect evaluation materials for each resource.
- To enhance dance education skills through weekly classes taught to elementary school students and community members
- To increase experience balancing multiple projects while meeting deadlines
- To increase knowledge of various dance education models available to engage younger dancers.
- Coordinate scheduling based on your availability and other company members availability to create a weekly schedule each Spring and Fall.
- Regularly look for new and innovative ways to improve the teaching program and communicate those ideas to staff members
- Research, gather, and develop content for the program including the use of props, connecting dance to academic curriculum, cultural programming based on Hispanic Heritage Month, Black History Month, Asian Pacific Heritage Month, Women’s History Month, National Coming Out Day etc., and connect dance to the ongoing cultural events
- Research grants and funding opportunities for these programs and work with company to develop grants.
- Research venues that will provide free tickets on an ongoing basis to outreach students and create field trip opportunities.
- Bring in guest artists from bigger companies and touring companies visiting the area.
- Dance training in a variety of dance styles is preferred.
- Should be able to talk about dance in relationship to other disciplines and cultural events.
- Prior teaching experience preferred.
- Must be available to work 10 hours/week
- Must have an interest in teaching children
- Must be willing to organize and take part in after school dance classes
Send letter of intent and resume to:
Dakshina/Daniel Phoenix Singh Dance Company
4607 Georgia Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20011
Or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Experience the Movement!