Join Our Board
We are currently recruiting members for our Board of Directors. The Board members play an active role in the leadership, governance, and development of the company.
Responsibilities of Serving on Dakshina’s Board:
Board members attend Dakshina’s performances in the community, give/get donations and scholarships, and serve as advocates for our work in promoting dance. Members also serve on the committees or task forces (described below) that support Dakshina’s mission:
- Community Liaisons: Liaisons work in the South Asian and/or LGBT communities to create a strong audience and donor base for Dakshina. Community Liaisons will:
- Promote Dakshina through outreach, events, and online marketing through social networking sites.
- Track and identify trends in South Asian and LGBT communities.
- Create ongoing social and networking events such as happy hours, open rehearsals, or gala dinners.
- Represent Dakshina at community gatherings, and DC Government, Ward, and Council meetings.
- Recruit and manage teams of volunteers for Dakshina’s many ongoing projects.
- An ideal Community Liaison will have a broad, diverse, and inter-generational community network they can share to help support Dakshina. Candidates should have a genuine interest in meeting people and building relationships in the communities they will be serving.
- Fundraising and Corporate Relations Committee: This committee identifies and develops relationships with major corporate and individual donors and grantmaking foundations. Less than 20% of our operating budget comes from ticket sales, and the rest is generated by the fundraising committee. Committee members will:
- Produce several successful fundraising and networking events throughout the year, and develop donor relationships through major performance events.
- Research, identify, and maintain potential fundraising opportunities such as grants and major donors.
- Create and implement donor appeals, funding proposals, and local fundraising activities.
- Help develop and implement communications strategies, including newsletters and content for website and listserv communications.
- Director of Artist Relations and Event Planning: The director will work closely with the artistic director in designing, managing, and supporting our major performances in the DC area and abroad. This position gives the director an exclusive insight into working closely with luminaries in the dance field. The director will:
- Understand and meet the challenges of international producing and presenting for upcoming festivals: networking, contract coordination, supernumerary coordination, artist hospitality, and other logistics.
- Contribute to audience development for major performances, in part by developing a network which will broaden our audience base.
- Participate in fundraising, and identify donors who will support our festivals and guest artists.
Fundraising Requirement: Each Board member is expected to make a good faith effort to raise donations for Dakshina annually. Board members shall consider Dakshina as a philanthropic priority and shall solicit contributions from foundations, organizations and/or individuals.
Board terms: Board members serve for three year terms, committing 8-10 hours per month.
Qualifications: We are currently recruiting candidates with at least five years of experience in any of the following fields. Knowledge of South Asian customs and language is helpful for the Director of Artist Relations/Event Planning position, but not required. Prior Board experience is preferred:
- Fundraising / Corporate Relations
- South Asian and/or LGBT Community Liaisons
- Non-Profit Law
In addition, the Board candidate should have extensive professional and leadership experience, have skills in cultivating relationships with stakeholders, and possess personal qualities of integrity, credibility and a passion for Dakshina’s mission and values.
The Board position is perfect for individuals with a dedication to making a difference through the arts. To apply, please e-mail a resume and cover letter to: email@example.com.
Thank you for your time and consideration,
Daniel Phoenix Singh, Artistic Director