In the few years since Dakshina’s inception, the company has garnered national acclaim and is embarking on the first full company tour to India in 2009. Singh’s works have been the critic’s pick in the Express, Metro Weekly, Washington City Paper, and The Washington Post. You will find a few highlights of our awards in recent years below:
- Finalist, Daniel Phoenix Singh. Innovation in the Arts–Mayor’s Arts Awards. 2010
- Emerging Group, Dance Metro DC. 2008
- Excellence in Costume Design (shared with Roxann Morgan), Dance Metro DC. 2008
- Founder’s Award for Innovation in Dance, Dance Metro DC. 2007
- Finalist, Emerging Artist–Mayor’s Arts Awards. 2007 and 2006
- Finalist, Set Design, Dance Metro DC. 2005
Several collaborators have been nominated in other categories and the company continues to chart a unique path in fostering dance in the DC metro region. Dakshina has received prestigious grants from the DC Commission on the Arts and Humanities, Mid-Atlantic Arts Foundation, National Cultural Centers of Color/National Performance Network and the National Endowment for the Arts all within the first five short years.